Community-Based Birth Doula Program
It is an honor to welcome a new child into the world, to encourage and support people through the process of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. It is also an exciting time to participate in the birth community as a childbirth professional. Whether your clients are choosing hospital, birth center, or home births, Harmony Doula Mentoring can help you to have the skills you need to provide compassionate, culturally competent emotional and physical support, using evidence-based practices from both new innovations and and time-honored traditions.
Harmony Doula Mentoring offers high quality workshops in both one-on-one and small group settings. We are committed to training community-based doulas to serve the greater Modesto area. It is our mission to increase access to doula care for every member of our community and increase knowledge of the unique health disparities facing pregnant people in the Central Valley, thereby leading to greater equity and better birth outcomes for all.
Our Introductory Workshop, hosted by the Modesto Natural Birth Place, is a 35-hour course, taught one day per week over the course of 10 weeks. Workshops cover evidence-based information about the benefits of doula support, the anatomy and chemistry of birth, the significance of doula support to families, hands-on techniques, trauma-informed and inclusive care, as well as practical steps to begin a career as a doula.
Doulas who want to advance their skills can also participate in Advanced Doula Skills Workshops, which are offered once a month through the academic year, on a variety of topics at the Harmony Doula Group offices and around the California Central Valley and San Francisco Bay Area.
Students who are approved by the staff midwives at the Modesto Natural Birth Place can volunteer at the center, to get valuable hands-on birth experience with a supervising doula.
This course is designed to build the confidence, knowledge, and skills of a Community-Based Doula, guiding them toward a great start to a successful career as a childbirth professional.
In this course, you will learn:
- The history and role of the birth doula, the doula Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics, working with other members of the birth team, the research into the benefits of having doula.
- The anatomy and physiology of labor, interventions and augmentations available in integrative medicine, and their associated benefits and risks.
- A holistic approach to the year surrounding birth, including nutrition and physical and emotional wellness, theories regarding pain and the potentials consequences of fear in labor, strategies and tools for comfort, coping, and reducing fear and anxiety.
- Skills for providing physical and emotional support in both pregnancy, labor and delivery, and the immediate postpartum period.
- Basic breastfeeding support skills and information on postpartum mood disorders.
- Critical thinking skills for assessing research and evidence.
- Effective communication, active listening, conflict resolution, and advocacy skills.
- Marketing and business organizational skills.
The fee for the Introductory Workshop is $275. Contact us to schedule a series that suits your schedule or to get enrollment information for upcoming sessions.
* Winter Session: 9:30am-1pm, Wednesdays Nov 7-Jan 30 (no class Nov 21, Dec 26, or Jan 2)
* Spring Session: 9:30am-1pm, Wednesdays Feb 6-Apr 10
* Session 1: Community-Based Birth Doulas – Feb 6
* Session 2: Anatomy and Physiology of Labor – Feb 13
* Session 3: Medical Interventions and Augmentations – Feb 20
* Session 4: Labor Support – Pain and Comfort Measures for Coping – Feb 27
* Session 5: Rebozo and Acupressure – March 6
* Session 6: Breastfeeding Support – March 13
* Session 7: The Immediate Postpartum and Postpartum Recovery – March 27
* Session 8: Trauma-informed Care – April 3
* Session 9: Communication Skills – April 10
* Session 10: The Business End – April 17
All sessions are held at the Modesto Natural Birth Place, 1608 Sunrise Ave A, Modesto, CA 95350
Enroll now to guarantee your spot:
Advanced Doula Skills Training Workshops
- Rebozo Skills for Comfort and Relaxation
- Acupressure for Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum
- Teaching Infant Massage
- Trauma-Informed Care: The Trauma Survivor, Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum (4 hours)
- Business Skills: Creating a Team or Group Practice
- Understanding Self-hypnosis in Labor for Birth Professionals
- Supporting VBAC Clients
- Essential Oil Safety in Pregnancy, Birth, Postpartum, and the Newborn
- Palliative Care and NICU Support
- Breastfeeding Support Skills for Birth Professionals (5 hours, satisfies DONA and CAPPA requirement)
Unless otherwise noted, Advanced Skills Workshops are 2 hours and $50 each. The Breastfeeding Support class is $125.
For current schedule, see our Facebook page. To schedule a workshop or multi-subject day event, contact us.
The Harmony Doula Group has several apprenticeship opportunities throughout the year. Contact us for more information about requirements, expectations, current availability, and fees.