Community-Based Birth and Postpartum Doula Program
It is an honor to welcome a new child into the world, to encourage and support people through the process of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. It is also an exciting time to participate in the community as a childbirth and postpartum professional. Whether your clients are choosing hospital, birth center, or home births, Harmony Doula Mentoring can help you to have the skills you need to provide compassionate, culturally competent emotional and physical support, using evidence-based practices from both new innovations and and time-honored traditions.
Harmony Doula Mentoring offers high quality workshops in both one-on-one and small group settings. We are committed to training community-based doulas to serve the members of their own community. It is our mission to increase access to doula care for every member of our community and increase knowledge of the unique health disparities facing pregnant people in the Central Valley, thereby leading to greater equity and better birth outcomes for all.
Our Community-Based Doula Training Program is a 40-hour course. It encorporates an introduction to birth and postpartum doula work as well as many of our advanced doula skills courses, for a truly well-rounded experience designed to help a new doula feel confident that they can support birthing and postpartum people and families to the fullest of their abilities. Students will learn evidence-based information about the benefits of doula support, the anatomy and chemistry of birth and postpartum recovery, the significance of doula support to families, hands-on techniques to help a client be informed and be an active decision making member of their birth and recovery team, tips and tricks for coping and relaxation, trauma-informed and inclusive care, as well as practical steps to begin a career as a doula.
Students who are approved by the staff midwives at the Modesto Natural Birth Place can volunteer at the center, to get valuable hands-on birth experience with a supervising doula.
Practicing doulas who want to advance their skills can also participate in Advanced Doula Skills Workshops, which are offered once a month through the academic year, on a variety of topics at the Harmony Doula Group offices and around the California Central Valley and San Francisco Bay Area.
This course is designed to build the confidence, knowledge, and skills of a Community-Based Birth and Postpartum Doula, guiding them toward a great start to a successful career as a childbirth professional. It includes most of the advanced skills offered in our single subject workshops, as we believe these are skills all doulas should know.
In this course, you will learn:
- The role of a doula as an advocate working with members of the care provider team and the benefits of a doula in birth and postpartum.
- A holistic approach to the year surrounding birth, including nutrition and physical and emotional wellness.
- The anatomy and physiology of labor, interventions and augmentations available in integrative medicine, and their associated benefits and risks.
- Theories of pain perception and the potentials consequences of fear in labor
- Strategies and tools for comfort, coping, and reducing fear and anxiety, including rebozo work, acupressure, pelvic floor and body balancing, TENS units, and more.
- Strategies and skills for supporting emotional wellbeing and healthy physical recovery, including practicing trauma-informed care.
- Basic breastfeeding support skills and newborn care, setting up clients for success in early parenting.
- Information on perinatal and postpartum mood and anxiety disorders.
- Critical thinking skills for assessing research and evidence.
- Effective communication, active listening, conflict resolution, and advocacy skills.
- Marketing and business organizational skills.
The fee for the Workshop is $400. Contact us to schedule a series that suits your schedule or to get enrollment information for upcoming sessions.
* Fall Session 2019: Nov 13-17. 9:30am-6:30pm (Modesto Natural Birth Center)
* Winter Session 2020: Feb 7, 8, 9, 15, 16. 10:30am-7pm (Welcome Home Community Birth Center, Sacramento) - Register now
* Spring Session 2020: March 27, 28, 29 and April 3, 4, 5. 6:30-9:30pm Fridays, 10am-7pm Saturday and Sundays (Grey Goods, Martinez) - Register now
* Day 1: Intro to Community-Based Doulas; the Anatomy, Chemistry, and Physiology of Labor; Medical Interventions and Augmentations
* Day 2: Labor Support Skills and Tool Kit: prenatal body balancing, understanding pelvic floor health, rebozo use, acupressure, and coping
* Day 3: The Immediate Postpartum and Breastfeeding Support
* Day 4: Trauma-informed Care (ACEs and Birth Trauma); Supporting Postpartum Recovery at Home; Aromatherapy and Herbal Safety
* Day 5: Inclusive Communication and Business Skills
The Fall 2019 Session will be held at the Modesto Natural Birth Place, 1608 Sunrise Ave A, Modesto, CA 95350.
Enroll now to guarantee your spot:
Advanced Doula Skills Training Workshops
Unless otherwise noted, Advanced Skills Workshops are 2 hours and $50 each. 3-hour classes are $75. The Breastfeeding Support class is $125.
For current schedule, see our Facebook page. To schedule a workshop or multi-subject day event, contact us.
The Harmony Doula Group has several apprenticeship opportunities throughout the year. Contact us for more information about requirements, expectations, current availability, and fees.